Jul 25, 2014

Pioneer Day 2014

Remember last year's Pioneer Day celebration? We did the pioneer games and Dutch oven dinner. The kids had so much fun they were super excited to do it again this year. The Drama Queen and I started planning the day before so we had time to get things together. We decided we wanted to do a craft so we tore more than 500 strips of fabric to make authentic rag dolls.
Tossing rings

3-legged race
We also looked up some new games and pioneer stories on the internet. My sweetie had to work since it was a state holiday only, so Drama Queen peeled a bunch of potatoes and carrots for the Dutch oven chicken stew and I prepared a peach cobbler in the 2nd one. Drama Queen also wanted to make bread in the bread maker (not quite the authentic way, but delicious!) so she spent time making 4 loaves. It took her about 15 hours total to get them all cooked.

We had so much fun! The Gym Rat brought his cute girlfriend and my Little Sis and her family came as did Bossy and her family. We started with the pioneer stories and then we played the hoop toss game. Fajita and Sport were amazingly good at it and they set a new record of 22 catches. Then it was time for the 3-legged race. I got to judge the race this time. It seems that the winners were always the ones closest in size who work well together. The Gym Rat totally lost after I put a moratorium on carrying...

Then we sat in a circle and played the Elements game. My favorite part was watching the Dog Walker pretend to be a dolphin! Although the Drama Queen did a great job with her bird impressions too.

Making rag dolls
We had just gotten the rag doll stuff out when my sweetie called everyone over for dinner. The food was amazing as usual and everyone enjoyed the Drama Queen's hard work. Then we went back to our rag dolls before eating the peach cobbler.

Let's eat!
I was a little sad that the Gym Rat and his girl had to leave before square dancing and fireworks, but the rest of us had so much fun! Even Little Sis got her hubby to dance and he actually admitted it wasn't all that bad. Sorry, no pics, I was enjoying myself too much to even remember that part.

I hope you all had an amazing Pioneer Day too!





2 comments:

kiy said...

Looks like fun!

LeAnn said...

OMG! You really celebrate in a great way. What an amazing 24th of July Celebration. We weren't with family so we just took in a movie.
I did love reading about your day.
Blessings for all!