Jul 21, 2015

Days of 47 Float Preview


We continued our Pioneer Day celebration tonight by going to the Days of 47 Float Preview at the Expo-center in Sandy. It's one of my favorite Family Home Evening activities because it's fun and free. Besides, we haven't been to the Days of 47 parade downtown in two decades, so this is the kids' only opportunity to see the floats up close.

Although my crazy sweetie is saying that we might just break with tradition and brave the heat this year. I'm sure you will be the first to know...

That's Fajita, right in the middle.

Anyway, back to the preview. They hold this show for 2 days and it is kind of a gift to the community. There are face painters and clowns and a very few vendors allowed in and almost everything is free. In 'n Out Burger was one of those vendors and they just had a bean bag toss and they gave away free stuff. Teach got all 4 of the bags through the hole and she won a coupon for an entire free meal! I only made 3 so I just got a hamburger, but it was still fun.

We planned our trip right during the time when Fajita and Dog Walker were playing with the SLCC marching band. It's their favorite parade because it is inside in the air conditioning. They rocked out the stage for a while and they also marched up and down the aisles serenading the crowd.

It's always easy to spot the Dog Walker. He is right in the middle and by far the tallest musician. Fajita plays the flute and she is on the edge. Only a couple more parades for this year. Bountiful Handcart Days on Thursday and Days of 47 on Friday. I don't know about Fajita, but I think the Dog Walker is ready to hang up his trumpet.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Ilove reading about your family.

LeAnn said...

Wow, I think I need to pay attention more because I didn't even know about this. Where have I been? It sounds like a great way to see the floats. We haven't been to 24th of July Parade since 1991. We were moving to Spokane and three days before the move my husband had a heart attack. We changed a road trip plan and flew to Salt Lake for a couple of days and then on to Spokane. We stayed downtown and so the children and I went out and watched the parade. I loved it. Since we moved back in 2005; we mainly just watch it on TV. I do love the floats.
Loved this one and really think it is awesome that your children can participate in the bands.
Blessings and hugs!